WGAE's Digital Media Education Program
The WGAE’s Digital Media Education Program offers members a range of opportunities to learn about digital media theory, economics, and style, and to develop concrete skills. Although these programs are open to all WGAE members, geography and scheduling make it very difficult for people outside the New York metropolitan area to take part.
So, we have created a series of video clips that you can access from your computer without taking time off work and traveling to Manhattan. The clips cover transmedia production, digital journalism, web television, branded content, making the transition from traditional media to digital, targeting and mobilizing audiences, and more.
We hope you find them useful and intriguing.
I. Types of Digital Content
JOSH COHEN, co-founder of Tubefilter
- What makes online video different from tv or film?
- What's the most common mistake web video creators make?
- What's the advantage of targeting your audience in advance?
ANDREA PHILLIPS, transmedia writer and game designer
- What is Transmedia?
- How do you get started with Transmedia Storytelling?
- What's the most common mistake in Transmedia Storytelling?
JEREMY CAPLAN, professor at CUNY Graduate School of Journalism
* * *
II. Web TV Basics
SUSAN MILLER & TINA CESA WARD, executive producers & writers of Anyone But Me
- What's the biggest transition in going from traditional media to online videos?
- What's a big mistake to avoid when transitioning to writing for the web?
- How do you raise money for your web series?
JACK FERRY, director, producer, writer, cinematographer, and video editor
- What makes a successful web series?
- How do I get money for my web series?
- I've written my web series... Now what?
WILSON CLEVELAND, founder of CJP Digital Media
* * *
III. Mastering Social Media
HEIDI NEL, VP, Marketing and Public Affairs, at FitzGibbon Media
videography by CHIOKE NASSOR.